Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Channeling Jackson Pollack



So, you may have seen "60 Minutes" the other night. One of the segments featured a retired trucker with an 8th grade education who bought a painting for $5 at a yard sale some years ago. Her painting just may be an original Jackson Pollack, but I'll leave that debate to the snooty art experts. Abbie was quite interested in the old footage shown of Pollack doing one of his drip paintings, and declared that she had to try it. I quickly piped up that this particular project must be done outdoors. Anyway, so here are a few pics of the process, to go along with the final result shown above. We had no paint cans or paint sticks, so alas, little bowls and shishkabob sticks had to do. In the end, Abbie herself looked as much like an original Pollack as her paper did, though I failed to photograph that in my haste to get her into the shower.



2 comments:

Anne V said...

Very cool project but I have to admit I'm kinda glad Sam hasn't gotten to that one. Yet.

Her finished picture reminds me of the ones in a book we just got at the library about elephants painting though.

Anne V said...

Oh, this is the book and it's pretty fun: Elephants Can Paint Too! by Katya Arnold